Saturday, January 17, 2009

Power out!

After a freezing cold day full of ice. Which meant Connor fell on the way to school and on the way home. It was misting all day and cold enough to freeze it so it was NOT fun at all to walk to school yesterday. Corrin had stayed home sick or else w/one on each side of me would have resulted in a huge fall for all of us w/no one getting up very easily. The concept that you don't get to go outside for recess when it is frozen everywhere makes no sense to Connor. "We would be careful and just play soccer on the grass" I don't think so! I couldn't even get up the very slight incline on my driveway after school and had to walk onto the grass.

Anyhoo... we were just hanging out watching the Incredibles and getting ready for bed when the power went out. Thankfully we were all in the same room when it happened. Kolette in mid jammy change. So I had to scramble to find a flashlight. Then thankfully I still kept some candles since I am a complete addict of Scentsy. I brought them all downstairs and we lit some and had all the flashlights on. But since it was super dark we decided to play a game of Monopoly by candle/flashlight. We were almost done when the power went on. It was clear that Connor was the winner. Thankfully since last time he was the 1st to go out and didn't handle it well. I hope playing more games teaches him sportsmanship. Apparantly a transformer blew and it was out for 3 hours. It was sure dark and starting to get cold. We have a fireplace but we don't use it and of course w/o wood I don't think it would be much good. But the draft comes in thru it so I had to block it off w/a part of the couch. You have to think a little differently when lights are out.

I guess it makes you think about all you have to be thankful for. I am thankful for the fact that I can walk into any room of my house and turn on a light. I am thankful I don't have to pee outside and that my toilets flush. I am thankful that I don't have to start a fire to cook dinnner. My microwave is a wonderful tool. I am thankful for nightlights so my kids can sleep in their rooms w/o fear. I am thankful for telephones so you can check on your other loved ones. Mostly I am thankful that the good Lord above has blessed me w/all of these but b/c I can share them w/the most wonderful gifts in my life My Family. Also thankful for the fact that the power came back on and we didn't freeze!

1 comment:

Snow Mommy said...

We played a game of Monopoly today too! Dan kicked our butts!