How we celebrated Fathers day is not my idea of fun. Well at least it started out great. We went to church and headed out to Boise to go to a car show after. We met up w/some friends of ours and they boys esp enjoyed collecting the cards all the cars had and they love their collection b/c they all have a pic of the car on it. Kolette was wanting to be held during the entire and acting like she wanted to go to sleep. So Donnie and I took turns holding her.
When we headed back to the car it was raining like crazy. Kolette started shivering once in the car. I took her temp and it was 99.9 so I knew we were on our way to a fever. I keep albuteral and tylenol in my bag so she took some. Then her lips turned blue and same w/her eyelids. She started breathing fast and was shaking. So we headed to Boise St. Lukes. They have the ER separated into adults and kids. It was really cool to have everyone so great w/kids.
Her oxygen was low and she had a good fever but nothing like she is capable of getting too. They did an x-ray and the cool thing is they did it in the room. They came back and said she had pneumonia, then they tested her urine and said it was bacterial pneumonia (strepptococcal) sp?. They were instantly worried about her. I told them who her doc in Boise is and they called him but then I also told them she only sees him 2x a year and that Dr. Page sees her all the time. I said I wouldn't let her stay overnite unless Dr. Page said that he thought we should. He has been such a blessing to us. He talked to me and also to the ER doc. Her face had turned red and around her mouth was all white and she was breathing 60 beats per minute which is 3x what she should be doing then her entire face turned white. Then to make matters worse for her comfort level she threw up all over her clothes. She liked the hospital gown coz it was purple. My little sunshine doesn't make sense and scares doctors that don't know her. So I have such a hard time trusting anyone when it comes to her.
I finally relented to her staying the night since they could give her high doses of antibiotics to help fight it off. She didn't even need the oxygen during the night and the fever went away which was strange considering her lung was partially collasped. The 2 biggest blessings in it all was that Dr. Rand came to see her on his off day and said he would take care of her and the other huge blessing was Dr. Travis Page. I just can't believe what a blessing he has been to us. It was a great night of sleeping for her and I w/them giving her breathing treatments every 2 hours and changing the antibiotics on the other 2 hours and the monitors beeping it was awesome!
The great part of being at a Childrens hospital is they know how to be w/kids. The child life specialists are amazing. They gave Kolette a quilt, a special pillowcase(a lady who's son died from cancer makes them to cheer up the kids while they have to stay) and she got a Pig w/clothes and shoes. They gave her an additional pneumonia shot to cover what the one she got as a baby didn't cover. She hates shots and iv's but she was pretty brave:o)
I kinda feel for the hospital staff since I push to let her go home if all they are doing is things I can do at home. I know what to do and am even comfortable w/going home w/oxygen. They even tried to make me watch a asthma video even though I told them I have been to 2 asthma workshops and have a 10 yr old who has had asthma her entire life. Finally the figured out I know what I am talking about.
I am mainly posting this for myself to help me remember I am sorry to bore you all. I am so thankful the next day they let us go home. Now we just have to learn to recognize when she is getting sick and act whenever she has a fever. I don't understand why she gets fevers and then the next day they are just gone and then things like this happen to her out of the blue. They actually told me she is a very healthy child and that is why she can handle this kind of infection and not have it make her horribly sick. Weird I never thought of her as healthy.
Saw Dr. Page today and we have an action plan and he is so great about being there for her. What a comfort I hate breaking in doctors and nurses it just frustrates me. But I am so thankful she is doing so great now. Breathing well is a blessing for now too:o)
We made it 2 yrs without going to the hospital hopefully we won't have to go back.
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
You didn't bore me :) So glad Kolette is feeling better. One day you will receive the Mother of the Year award... You deserve it!!!
Post a Comment